How Rent-to-Own Cars Work
Tuesday, January 20, 2015 at 3:10 PM
If you have bad credit and you’re interested in buying a car, your options will be very limited. You could buy a car with the cash in your pocket (which isn’t always possible) or you could go to a buy-here-pay-here lot and pay 20% interest (or more!) on your loan in addition to a hefty down payment and sales tax. Luckily, there is another option: rent-to-own cars. Regardless of your credit score, you can make a down payment, pay weekly rent payments, and at the end of your term, you’ll drive away with a car! Wondering how rent-to-own cars work? Let’s delve into the details . . .
How Rent-to-Own Cars Work
1. Find a reputable dealer. The process can’t begin until you find a credible, dependable, and well-respected dealership. Look for a dealer that offers great customer service, a selection of quality vehicles, and appealing advantages over other companies. For example, some dealers will license the vehicle for you. Some offer rent-to-own cars with no upfront sales tax or property tax. Some offer great financing options. And some dealers offer all of these benefits and more! Finally, the best way to identify a great company is through satisfied customers, so ask people you know for recommendations and check review sites online.
2. Get approved. Not proud of your credit history? Don’t sweat it! In a rent-to-own approval process, the dealer will disregard that pesky credit score. Instead, they will look at your employment history, household income, and length of residency. Once you’re approved, you can begin the rent-to-own process.
3. Find a car. Now it’s time for the fun part: selecting a car.Your options will vary based on the dealer you choose, but most rent-to-own dealers offer late model vehicles. Research the cars that you’re interested in online to ensure that the car you ultimately choose is a quality vehicle and a worthwhile investment. Also, review your budget to check that you can afford the down payment and weekly rent payments for the car you desire.
4. Start making payments. Before you can drive off with your new car, you will need to make a down payment. The amount will be based on the vehicle you choose. Then, you will begin making weekly rent payments for a specified period of time (24-36 months is common). It is important that you make your payments on time, because a missed payment will usually incur a late fee.
5. Receive your car. After you complete the agreement (making payments for the amount of time agreed upon), the car will belong to you!
Are you interested in renting-to-own or leasing a car? Be sure to check out Auto By Rent, the largest rent-to-own/lease auto dealer in Missouri and Tennessee. We can help you secure a quality vehicle regardless of your credit history. To get approved, please apply here or contact the location nearest to you:
- North Springfield: 417-447-7979
- South Springfield: 417-877-2001
- Joplin: 417-553-0555
- Marshfield: 417-859-6363
- Rogersville: 417-753-3669
- Chattanooga: 423-553-8200
We look forward to hearing from you!